Business is booming at Batavia’s Championship meet - Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel
Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel News

Business is booming at Batavia’s Championship meet

Batavia, NY — The numbers are in and they’re impressive to say the least. After completing two weeks of the 2019 live harness racing meet, Batavia Downs has reported unprecedented increases in handle from every source of wagering.

Western Regional Off Track Betting (WROTB) operates Batavia Downs and released the following numbers after the first nine cards of racing.

Export betting was up 36%, on-track betting was up 20% and WROTB betting from all outlets was up 10%. Total betting is up 30% or a total of $291,351 with an average increase of $32,372 per night.

“On Monday (Aug. 5) the track handle was up 90% while the total handle was up 127% from the same Monday last year. It was the fifth largest of all time since WROTB reopened the track in 2002,” said Todd Haight, Director/General Manager of Batavia Downs. “We were hoping to see increases as a result of our stakes programs this year, but we are ecstatic to be seeing it on our overnight product as well.”

The centerpiece of the 2019 meet is the $1.8 million New York Sire Stakes Night of Champions that will be held at the Downs on Saturday (Sept. 14) along with the track’s signature stake, the $50,000 Kane Memorial Invitational pace.

Racing resumes at Batavia Downs this week on Saturday (Aug. 10) with post time at 6 p.m.

By Tim Bojarski, for Batavia Downs

Delacy Ford, Batavia New York
Get Social with Batavia Downs Gaming & Hotel

Must be 18 years of age or older to play video gaming machines or wager on horses. Please play responsibly.

Wagering on horse racing and playing Video Gaming Machines is entertaining and fun when done in a responsible manner. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, please call for 24-hour assistance at 1-877-8 HOPE NY* or click HERE to visit the NY Council on Problem Gambling Support Directory. Click HERE for more information on our Voluntary Self-Exclusion Program. *Standard rates may apply.

Delacy Ford, Batavia New York